1. Information We Collect
We collect information about you that you provide to us when using the Site, such as your name, address, phone number, credit card details, e-mail address and your BKW account password for vehicles reservation.
By visiting our Site, we may also automatically collect certain usage information, such as your IP address, geographic data, country, search preferences related to specific searches, browser, and information about your device's operating system, application version, language settings, and pages that have been shown to you. If you are using a mobile device to access our mobile app or mobile optimized Site, we might also collect information that identifies your mobile device, such as the device ID, location of the device (with your consent), and device-specific settings and characteristics.
If you participate in an BKW program, there may be limited additional information that we may collect from the rental period about usage. When you make a reservation, our system registers through which means and from the websites you have made your reservation. We may also collect certain information through cookies, tags, and similar technologies as detailed below.
If you need to get in touch with our customer support team or reach out to us through other means (such as through social media) we will collect information from you there too.
Where you submit reviews regarding your car rental or other ancillary services available on our website through us, we will collect information from you included in your reviews, including your first name and country of residence.
You can decide to participate in our referral programs or other promotions and doing this will also mean providing us with personal data. In addition to that, you can provide us with feedback or ask for help with using the Sites or our various communications platforms.
Our branch or salesperson partners may share information about you with us too – this may happen if you have questions about your pending booking or if disputes arise regarding your booking.
Special categories of personal information
Certain types of personal data, such as religion or health-related information, are considered sensitive and may require additional protection under applicable laws. Although we do not ordinarily collect sensitive personal data as part of standard vehicles bookings, there may be a need to from time to time, collect such information e.g. as contained in a government-issued identification document or medical certificate if such information is supportive of a transaction or request that you ask us to perform on your behalf such as a cancellation or amendment of your booking. You may also elect to provide us with other information which may imply or suggest information like religion, health or other information, such as when specifying your dietary needs. Such collection and processing of such sensitive personal data will be in line with what is set out in this privacy statement.
Where required by law, we rely on the following legal bases to process personal information:
- Necessity to Perform Contract with You - we need to process your information in order to provide our reservation services to you, answer questions and requests from you, and provide customer support;
- Our Legitimate Interests - we process your information for security and safety; to detect and prevent fraud; to protect and defend the rights or property of others, or our own rights and interests; to customize and provide our reservation services to you; and to respond to lawful requests, court orders, and legal process;
- Compliance with Legal Obligations - we need to process your information to comply with relevant laws and regulatory requirements;
- Protect Vital Interest - we may need to process your information in case of emergency involving an individual's life or health.
2. How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use information collected through the Site to:
- Provide you with the requested services, such as creating a user account, processing and confirming your reservation, and communicating with you about services requested (e.g., pre-reservation or post booking chat support (excluding credit card number), special request, cancellations, rewards)
- Send you email marketing communications about products and services that may be relevant to you
- Conduct surveys or provide you with information about our services on our Site or on other websites you may visit
- Maintain and improve the Site, tailor the user experience, and for internal training
- Protect the security of you and the Site
- Exercising a right or obligation conferred or imposed by law, including responding to request and legal demands.
When you make a reservation on the websites or apps, we may also receive certain information such as your name and reservation information, including the make and models reserved, in order to process your reservation and identify which channel your reservation has originated from.
During calls with our customer support team, live listening may be done or calls may be recorded for quality and reference purposes which includes the usage of the recordings for the handling of claims, training and fraud detection purposes. If you would prefer that your call was not recorded, you can opt out by stating this, or by hanging up. Call recordings are kept for a limited amount of time and automatically deleted thereafter, unless BKW has a legitimate interest to keep such recording for a longer period, including for fraud investigation and legal purposes.
Please note that the confirmation emails and text messages sent after your booking, as well as the customers review emails sent after your departure, are not marketing messages. These messages are part of your rental car reservation process. Respectively, they contain information for you to check in at your booked vehicles, and tools to optionally rate that rental car after your usage. You will continue to receive them, even if you have opted out of our marketing messages.
Communications on the Site
We offer you various means to communicate about rental cars and existing reservations, directing the communications through the Site. You can contact us with questions about your reservation or about your vehicles via the Site, and via other channels that we may make available.
We may access communications and may use automated systems to review, scan, and analyse communications for security purposes; fraud prevention; compliance with legal and regulatory requirements; investigations of potential misconduct; product development and improvement; research; customer engagement, including to provide you with information and offers that we believe may be of interest to you; and customer or technical support. We reserve the right to block the delivery of or review communications that we, in our sole discretion, believe may contain malicious content, spam, or may pose a risk to you or, us, or others. Note, all communications sent or received using the Site’s communication tools will be received and stored by us. Business partners through whose platform you made the reservation and our partners may choose to communicate with you directly via email or other channels that we do not control.
3. Mobile Devices
With your consent, we may send you push notifications with information about your reservation, potential future stays, or as part of any BKW programs that you participate in, including coupons. You may grant us access to your location information or contact details in order to provide services requested by you. When you upload a picture from your mobile device, your picture may also be tagged with your location information. Please read the instructions of your mobile device to understand how to change the settings and enable the sharing of such information or the receipt of (or opt out of receiving) push notifications (including Software Development Kit ("SDK") and push token data). Different device operating systems may have different default settings, so please familiarize yourself with such settings governing push notifications.
4. Sharing Your Information
In connection with your visit to our Site and use of our services, we may share your information as follows:
- Third Party Service Providers who provide data processing services to us (for example web hosting), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes such as credit card and payment processing, business analytics, customer service, marketing, or distribution of surveys, to facilitate the delivery of online services and advertising tailored to your interests, and/or fraud prevention. Our third party service providers will only process information as needed to perform their functions. They are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
- Business Partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services may be offered on our Sites. You can tell when a third-party business partner is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear, either alone or with ours. If you choose to access these optional services, we will on occasion share your personal information with those partners. An example of a business partner would be a third-party loyalty program that you will earn points for, through a booking.
- Our Affiliated Group Companies - our affiliated (group) companies' employees who have access to this information with our permission and who need to know or have access to this information to perform the service requested by you (including customer services) and internal (audit/compliance) investigations.
- Where Required or Permitted by Law - such as to protect ourselves against liability, to respond to subpoenas, judicial processes, legitimate requests, warrants or equivalent by law enforcement officials or authorities, to investigate fraud or other wrongdoing or as otherwise required or necessary in order to comply with applicable law, protect our legitimate interests or to the purchasers in connection with any sale, assignment, or other transfer of all or a part of our business or company. We may also, in compliance with applicable law, disclose your information to enforce or apply the terms and conditions applicable to our services or to protect the rights, property, or safety of BKW, our users, or others.
- Business Reorganization - such as part of any sale, assignment or other transfer of our business, or transition of service to another provider. We will ask for your consent if required by applicable law.
Our Site uses and allows third parties to place cookies (session and persistent), pixels/tags, SDKs, application program interfaces ("APIs"), and other technologies (collectively, "Cookies") on our Site that collect and store certain information about you. Some of these Cookies are necessary to provide, secure, and maintain the Site to you, such as to keep you logged in while your visit our Site, while other Cookies are used to provide you with a better user experience, such as:
- Perform website analytics, such as impression reporting, demographic reporting and interest reporting. This may include the recording of mouse clicks, movements, page scrolling and restricted text entered into our Site forms through selected third parties but we will take sufficient precautions to ensure that personal information will not be collected during such recordings e.g. through the adoption of irreversible masking. Website analytics is used to improve our Site and services; and
- To provided you advertising tailored to your interest (see below for details).
Interest Based Advertising
We may also allow certain third parties to place Cookies on our Site in order to collect information about your online activities on our Site (e.g., pages visited on the Site and searches you performed) and over time and across different websites you may visit. This information is used to provide advertising tailored to your interests from us (via email, on our Site, and on other websites) and by third parties on other websites you may visit, also known as interest based advertising, and to analyze the effectiveness of such interest based advertising. We may also share one-way hashed information with third party partners (e.g., Facebook) who may combine hashed information with other identifiers in order to serve custom BKW advertisements on other websites or mobile apps based on your prior visits to the Site. BKW neither supports nor endorses the goals, causes, or statements of any websites or mobile apps that display our advertisements.
We may also combine information collected through Cookies and certain usage information from a particular browser or mobile device with another computer or device that may be linked to you (cross-device tracking) in order to optimize our services and provide tailored BKW communications and advertisements to you. If you do not want BKW to combine such information for its optimization of communications to you please unsubscribe from the BKW communications i.e. the newsletter.
Please review your Internet browser settings, typically under the sections "Help" or "Internet Options," to exercise choices you have for certain Cookies. If you disable or delete certain Cookies in your Internet browser settings, you might not be able to access or use important functions or features of this Site, and you may be required to re-enter your log-in details.
By exercising such choice regarding interest based advertising, you may still receive advertisements, but the network from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your interests. You should also know that logging out of your user account will not actually mean that you opt out of personalized advertisements.
You may need to make such choices on each browser and device you may use to exercise choice regarding certain Cookies. Lastly, at this time the Site is not configured to honor browsers' "Do Not Track" signals, except where required by applicable law.
6. Opting Out of Marketing Communications from Us
You can opt out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time by using the "Unsubscribe" link in each newsletter or communication, or through your BKW account (if you've created one) - the email subscriptions settings is under "Profile".
7. Information from Other Partners
On occasion, affiliated entities, business partners, or other third party providers may share information with us. One example is if you access or sign in to our Site through social media, such as Facebook Connect, we may collect information from you such as your username, and other information made available to us via such services. In general, your ability to provide such information is through the service provider themselves and you can change those settings in your account settings of the relevant service provider. In general, we may work with our partners to improve and personalize your use of our website in accordance with this policy.
We have partnered with Facebook to provide personalized content on BKW for members of Facebook. If you are a Facebook and BKW user and you have signed into BKW via the Facebook single sign on feature, then our Site will be personalized for you to display information/stays of your Facebook friends with our vehicles in the past and also future stays at vehicles bookable through the Site. The information that may be displayed include the name of the vehicles, such information may be shown and personalized to you on the search pages of the vehicles on the Site, and the search calendar amongst other places. Further, your vehicles Information will also be displayed to your Facebook friends who are also BKW customers and who have signed in through the Facebook single sign on feature on the Site, as displayed on their search pages described above within the Site and updated each time you make a booking through BKW.
How to opt out: BKW has made it simple for you to opt out of this feature at any time by toggling "no" through (i) the thank you page after you make a booking, and (ii) your "Manage My Booking" page on the Site. Further, if you need help to opt out you may contact our customer experience team at any time.
8. Protecting Your Information
We maintain reasonable physical, electronic, and organizational security measures to protect your information against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, or unauthorized disclosure or access. We use Secure Socket Layer technology to encrypt credit card information during transit. For online bookings, credit card details are only captured by the payment gateway(s) we partner with (e.g. PayPal). For offline bookings, your credit card details will be encrypted and stored with each booking. For security reasons, only the last 4 digits of the number will be visible by our staff. Please note that we will store the last 4 digits of your credit card securely upon any booking made (this is required to manage any refund requests for that booking).
We will retain your information for the period necessary to provide and secure our Sites and services, and to exercise our legal rights and comply with our legal or regulatory obligations. When BKW no longer needs to use your information, we will – unless we need to keep your information to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations or the information is required to carry out corporate tasks and conduct our business – remove it from our systems and records and/or take steps to properly anonymize it so that you can no longer be identified from it.
9. How You Can Access or Change Your Information
You can easily correct your account name, the booking holder name (subject to the cancellation policy attached to the booking) and contact number at any time by signing in to your account on the website. Alternatively, please contact us via our Customer Support page or at firstname.lastname@example.org
to exercise any of the following rights:
To protect your privacy and security, we will verify your identity before responding to such request, and your request will be answered within a reasonable timeframe. We may not be able to allow you to access certain personal information in some cases e.g. if your personal information is connected with personal information of other persons, or for legal reasons. In such cases, we will provide you with an explanation why you cannot obtain this information. We may also deny your request for deletion or rectification of your personal information due to statutory provisions, especially those affecting our accounting processes, processing of claims, for fraud detection or prevention purposes, and mandatory data retention, which may prohibit deletion or anonymization.
Last updated: 01-08-2020 11:49